I got rid of stuff…and it saved my life. Let’s face it. We are living in a material world, I’m an OCD girl. This whole quarantine thing has my OCD kicking into high gear. But – luckily – over the past few years, I’ve shifted to a minimalist way of living. And it has paid off BIG TIME. Are you looking to make some changes while on lockdown to #simplify your house? I suggest picking one chest of drawers, one cabinet, one closet at a time, and approach that section of your home with the goal of downsizing it by HALF. I know that sounds drastic. BUT – this is a great time to take a long, hard look at all the “things” in your life and ask yourself: Is this essential to my everyday life? How often do I use this? Would someone else benefit more from this item?
Here are 3 easy steps to SIMPLIFY your life by decluttering sections of your house:
- Remove EVERYTHING from the area you’re organizing, then clean and sanitize the area
- Separate items into one of FIVE sections: 1) keep in current location 2) Donate 3) Sell 4) Garbage/Recycle 5) Move to another location (i.e. storage bin under bed, garage, high shelf or closet)
- Return the items to clean area in an organized fashion using bins, containers, labels, and dividers to assist with organization
Be honest with yourself about the items you’re organizing. For instance, when going through kitchen cabinets, pitch disposable container lids with no mates and junk items you push around but never use. If you know you use certain items infrequently, consider moving the item to a closet, basement or garage storage bin or a hard-to-reach top shelf somewhere in your house. If you haven’t used it in over a year, consider selling or donating to someone who can use it. Look at it from this perspective – when it sits unused for years, it is being wasted. Use this opportunity to ditch pantry items or cosmetics that are past expiration and make a shopping list of items to replace. Order project boxes and containers a week in advance of your organization project to ensure you have all the tools you need to make the project successful. Amazon.com and Costco are great for this.
Does this project seem too overwhelming?
- Divide the area you wish to organize into 3 sections and tackle one section each day over the course of three days to make it more manageable.
- Invite friends or family members to help with your project, bribing them with food, wine and good music.
- Bid out the job on Takl or hire a local professional to organize for you.
#Simplify #Organize #getfoxxi